Welcome to the first Chosen Vessels post! This will be on a person from the Bible, Caleb.
But, before I start into Caleb I want to say that there is one very special person who was chosen...Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God. He chose to come to earth in human form to die for our sins. Because He loves us so much! He came to seek and to save that which was lost. (Luke 19:10 KJV) And he died for us!!!
Note: alot of this came from Dad's sermon a few weeks ago.
Be Christians all the time. Not only in church. ~ Joshua 14:6-14 KJV
In verses 8, 9, and 14, we learn that Caleb wholly followed The Lord, his God.
Verse 8: ...but I wholly followed The Lord my God.
Verse 9: ...because thou hast wholly followed The Lord my God.
Verse 14: ...because that he wholly followed The Lord God of Israel.
Everyone probably knows some of the story of Caleb, right? 12 spies were sent into the land--Joshua, Caleb, and 10 others. The 10 returned and told bad things to try and discourage the people because they were fearful. Joshua and Caleb returned and told a different story, of how beautiful the land was because they had faith in God. They believed that with His help they would conquer.
-6 things about Caleb-
1) Caleb was a man of integrity.
• Integrity means honest in the face of adversity, no matter what the cost.
• Numbers 13:30 says "And Caleb stilled the people before Moses, and said, Let us go up at once, and posess it; for we are well able to overcome."
• Proverbs 20:7 tells us "The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him."
2) Caleb was a man of obedience.
• Joshua 14:8 says "Nevertheless my brethren that went up with me made the heart of the people melt: but I wholly followed The Lord my God."
• 1 Samuel 15:22 says "And Samuel said, Hath The Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of The Lord? Behold, to obey is better than to sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams."
3) Caleb was a man of faith.
• Joshua 14:9 tells us "And Moses sware on that day, saying, Surely the land whereon thy feet have trodden shall be thine inheritance, and thy children's for ever, because thou hast wholly followed The Lord my God."
• Caleb didn't go into the land to see if they could take it, because God had already given it to them. He went so he could return and tell them how grand it was...
• The first 10 had fear. - Joshua and Caleb had faith.
• Hebrews 11:6 says "But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a Rewarder of them that diligently seek Him."
• Romans 8:31 "What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
4) Caleb was a man that had perseverance to overcome obstacles.
• The Noah Webster Dictionary, 1828 edition, says perseverance is "persistence in any thing undertaken."
• God promised Caleb he would enter the Promised Land. However...
-he wandered in the wilderness for 38 years because of the people's sins.
- and it took 7 years to conquer the land.
But through it all Caleb persevered and look what happened!
• Isaiah 40:31 tells us "But they that wait upon The Lord shall renew; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."
• Psalms 31:23-24 says "O love The Lord all ye His saints; for The Lord preserveth the faithful, and plentifully rewardeth the proud doer. Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in The Lord."
5) Caleb was a man of courage.
• Courage isn't not having fear. It's taking action despite the fear.
• Isaiah 40:31 from #4 fits here too.
• Courage is knowing God is with you. He will never lead you somewhere he can't keep you! =)
6) Caleb was a man of selflessness.
• Everything we've got belongs to God.
• Caleb gave Hebron away.
• We should always be watchful of the needs of others.
I realized the other day that I never gave y'all the answer to the question concerning the 5th verse of "Amazing Grace". The way I've always known it to be sang is as follows.
1- Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me! I once was lost but now I'm found was blind but now I see!
2- 'Twas Grace that taught my heart to fear and Grace my fears relieved! How precious did that Grace appear the hour I first believed!
3- Through many dangers, toils, and snares I have already come! Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far and Grace will lead me home!
4- When we've been there ten thousand years bright shining as the sun! We've no less days to sing God's praise than when we first begun!
5- Praise God! Praise God! Praise God! Praise God! Praise God! Praise God! Praise God! Praise God! Praise God! Praise God! Praise God! Praise God! Praise God! Praise God!
Thank you for reading! Let me know what you think! In a comment or otherwise. :)
Have a blessed day!