The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien {Book Review}

Hey guys! Book review time. :) I started this book with Bethany R.'s read-along in April, but didn't get around to finishing it until this month. ;) 



~ Book Description 
Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit who enjoys a comfortable, unambitious life, rarely traveling any farther than his pantry or cellar. But his contentment is disturbed when the wizard Gandalf and a company of dwarves arrive on his doorstep one day to whisk him away on an adventure. They have launched a plot to raid the treasure hoard guarded by Smaug the Magnificent, a large and very dangerous dragon. Bilbo reluctantly joins their quest, unaware that on his journey to the Lonely Mountain he will encounter both a magic ring and a frightening creature known as Gollum. 


~ My Rating 
3.5 stars 


~ My Review 

I know this is favorite book among many, so don't throw rocks at me but...this wasn't a favorite. 

First of all, fantasy isn't really my thing. Second, little dwarves with beards and hoods aren't my thing (though they are cute). Third, dragons and goblins aren't my thing. ... See what I mean? 

Characters. 

Bilbo Baggins -- Okay, so...what a name! Bilbo being the only hobbit and the main character of the book, he wasn't my favorite at first. Later, yeah, he was. But in the beginning?? I don't know... But he did grow on me. :P 

Gandalf -- Despite the fact that Gandalf is a wizard and the main source of all the magic in the book (more on that later), I liked him as a character. Bilbo and the dwarves never would've made it through the mountains without him! 

Thorin Oakenshield -- Again, what a name!! It can't be said that Tolkien had no personality or creativity. In the beginning, I really liked Thorin's sarcastic approach to things. But later on...he was just so greedy. =/ 

Gollum -- Hahaha!! Okay, this little guy totally cracked me up. I know he was technically a 'bad guy' of the book, but...I just loved how he talked to himself. ;) "My preciouses!" Hehe! 

Bomber -- They make fun of this little guy sooo much!! I just wanted to grab him and hug him and hide him in a closet and feed him chocolate (because chocolate is good). 

Smaug -- The evil one!! The dangerous dragon that must be conquered! Smaug was hilarious (thought scary) in my opinion, to be the villain of the story. 


Cons. 

Magic... Okay, so I don't agree with magic. Actually I disagree with magic. I know Tolkien isn't saying "hey, magic is real. I'm going to cast a spell on you", but at the same time the magic (which I try to steer clear of in books) is present in this tantalizing tale. 

Greed... Greed is really upheld in this book. I mean, they would do anything for this gold! I've always been taught that greeted is wrong and we should be content with what we have, not coveting our neighbors possessions. 


Quotes. 

Chapter 8 -- "'We are quite annoyed enough with you as it is. If you hadn't waked up, we should have left you to your idiotic dreams in the forest; you are no joke to carry even after weeks of short commons.'"    ~ Thorin 

"May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks."  ~ Gandalf


All of that to say, I did enjoy this book once I got into it and I am glad I read it (because now I can be like "oh, yeah, I've read The Hobbit"). But I probably won't be reading anything else like this anytime soon. Just not my thing. ;)

Comments

  1. Well, I'm glad that you sort of enjoyed "The Hobbit"! ;)
    I sure enjoyed reading your review! :) I love how you have a little description for each of the main characters.
    I always enjoy reading your book reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, that was it exactly. :P
      Thanks, Rebekah! I'm so glad that you found the review fun and enjoyable. Your comments always make my day. ^_^

      Delete

Post a Comment

let's talk, m'friends. <3

Popular posts from this blog

"Beautiful Star of Bethlehem" ~ the Story and the Song

Just a Little Update.

Sisters in Christ ~ Kassie A. ~ March 2019