Bound by Victoria Lynn {Book Review}


Description

Two souls don’t find each other by simple accident.  ~ Jorge Luis Borges

Levi thought he was making this journey alone. But when he meets an eight-year-old girl at the train station, that plan is turned on its head.

Casey is running away and finds out that Levi is too. They decide to journey together and their lives are suddenly bound together in a journey they will not soon forget.

Both children come from abusive situations and are running from the dangers of their previous life. Levi is confident he can handle this on his own, but when Casey is injured on the journey, he must seek help from the first person that comes into his path, or rather people. Mr. and Mrs. Bellworth are simple farm folk with a heart for kids and a passion for serving God. When their unconditional love and gentle care surrounds Levi and Casey, the troubles of their previous lives melt away and they start to flourish. But when Casey is dragged back into the abusive world she came from, the emotional trauma, pain and distrust resurfaces. Will they be forever bound by their past? Or will God answer their prayers?


Rating

4.5 stars


Review

Oh my goodness, y'all, this book. It ripped my heart out and trampled all over it and even now—nearly 24 hours later, at the time I'm writing this—I've yet to fully recover.

I've unintentionally read four books dealing with foster care in the last couple weeks, but this one hit me the hardest. Levi and Casey's dark backgrounds were shown with such raw depth and vivid pain, all the while being handled with gentleness and grace. <3

I absolutely adored Mr. Abel and Mrs. Mariah—what amazing examples they are for the younger generation! Casey and Levi were sweet and lovable, and I enjoyed Mikayla's character immensely. I quickly "called" the twist that was to come, but I didn't mind knowing where that lil' sideplot was headed. *wink*

Only downfall would be that the writing style confused me at times. Nothing major, but I would have to pause and re-read to grasp the meaning. It could've been due to the speed at which I was reading while dying to know how it all ended... but yeah, minor annoyance compared to the amazingness of this novella.

4.5 stars!

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed this little book too! Hey, I like your new blog look! :)
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so sweet! Haha, thanks. xD I've been playing around with it...not totally sold on this look, but it's staying for now. :P

      Delete
  2. Great review, Faith! <3 I think this is a book I'm going to need to read. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebekah! :D I think you;d enjoy this one.

      Delete
  3. Aw yes, this book had a similar impact on me. It was so good. What other books involving foster care did you read, if you don't mind me asking? It's something I'm drawn to reading more about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. <3 I read the Starlight Animal Rescue series (4 books) by Dandi Daley Mackall. I believe they're aimed for a middle grade/pre-teen audience, but I enjoyed them. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

let's talk, m'friends. <3

Popular posts from this blog

"Beautiful Star of Bethlehem" ~ the Story and the Song

Just a Little Update.

Sisters in Christ ~ Kassie A. ~ March 2019